Search and find articles and topics quickly and accurately! See different advanced ways to search for articles on this site.
Is the Biblical God able or unable to confront iron chariots?
By Ahmed Eldin
Let us see how Bible describes the power of God:
And the LORD was
As we told above, the Biblical God cannot fight with chariots of iron but according with Christians God is powerful BUT when he confronts with chariots of iron, he is helpless. How chariots of iron can stop God Almighty to do what he wills?
|From me, Osama Abdallah:
Let us look at the many accurate translations of Judges 1:19:
Young's Literal Translation
As we clearly and indisputably see from the Young's Literal Translation and the rest of the translations above, Judges 1:19 in Hebrew is speaking about GOD Almighty and His Will. Other English translations have unethically mistranslated the verse to refer to the men of Judah:
New International Version
The problem with the this translation and few others along with it is that the Hebrew verse does not say "they," nor does it speak in plural! It is speaking in a singular form about GOD Almighty not being able to drive the enemy from the plains:
1:19 וַיְהִי יְהוָה אֶתיְהוּדָה, וַיֹּרֶשׁ אֶתהָהָר כִּי לֹא לְהוֹרִישׁ אֶתיֹשְׁבֵי הָעֵמֶק, כִּירֶכֶב בַּרְזֶל לָהֶם
In fact, http://bible.cc/judges/1-19.htm gave "Online Bible Software, Hebrew Lexicon, Commentaries, Parallel Translations for Judges 1:19" that perfectly agreed with the verse referring to GOD Almighty and not the men of Judah.
Also, the "Jewish Publication Society Bible" at http://www.theology101.org/bib/jps/jdg001.htm#019 also perfectly agreed with the the verse referring to GOD and not to the men of Judah.
Also, the New Advent Catholic Encyclopedia's translation at http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jdg001.htm#19 also perfectly agrees with the translations above.
So the bottom line is:
GOD Almighty could not have Judah drive the men from the plains!
Judah, even though GOD Almighty was with him, still could not drive the men from the plains! And in this case, even though GOD Almighty was with him, GOD still couldn't save him from losing this battle!
Why couldn't GOD Almighty -- when He decided to join the war -- cause His servants to win?
It would've been clear if the men of Judah fought without GOD Almighty on their side, because they would lose:
But when GOD Almighty was supposedly with them, then they should've won according to the Bible:
Notice here that the verses are talking about battle and not a war (a combination of battles over periods of time).
The victory of the battle is guaranteed to the Israelites if GOD Almighty was personally in it!!
Judges 1:19 fully contradicts Deuteronomy 20:14 and Numbers 14:42-43 above!
But the problem is bigger when we read the following Verses of the Bible:
26. And the LORD said unto Moses, Stretch out thine hand over the sea, that the waters may come again upon the Egyptians, upon their chariots, and upon their horsemen.
27. And Moses stretched forth his hand over the sea, and the sea returned to his strength when the morning appeared; and the Egyptians fled against it; and the LORD overthrew the Egyptians in the midst of the sea.
28. And the waters returned, and covered the chariots, and the horsemen, and all the host of Pharaoh that came into the sea after them; there remained not so much as one of them.( Exodus 14: 26-28)
From the above verses,
we understand that God destroyed the chariots of the Egyptians while in the verses
Judges 1:19 God is unable to even confront with chariots; therefore, we have a clear
contradiction. I hope that I will not come across with any Christian that he
might say: “well, in the verses Judges 1:19 we have iron chariots, and the
verses Exodus 14:26-29 speak about ordinary chariots, in that case the argument
would be ridiculous cause the main problem is that the Biblical God, the so
called Almighty can not confront with his own creation, even if it is
chariots from iron or from wood or whatever or any type of them. Nevertheless,
chariots were made from iron in the time of ancient
But the most bigger problem is when we read the following verses:
17. And Joshua spake unto the house of Joseph, even to Ephraim and to Manasseh, saying, Thou art a great people, and hast great power: thou shalt not have one lot only :
18. But the mountain shall be thine; for it is a wood, and thou shalt cut it down: and the outgoings of it shall be thine: for thou shalt drive out the Canaanites, though they have iron chariots, and though they be strong.. (Joshua 17: 17-18)
Now here we have Joshua promise victory against Canaanites even they have iron chariots. Therefore, God with Juda was helpless when he confronted with iron chariots but with Joshua was able to defeat them:
1. And the whole congregation of the children of Israel assembled together at Shiloh, and set up the tabernacle of the congregation there. And the land was subdued before them.
2. And there remained among the children of Israel seven tribes, which had not yet received their inheritance.
3. And Joshua said unto the children of Israel, How long are ye slack to go to possess the land, which the LORD God of your fathers hath given you? (Joshua 18: 1-3)
Isn’t that a clear contradiction between the verse Judges 1:19 vs. Joshua 17: 17-18? Yes it is
Now let us compare the verse Judges 1:19 with some verses of the Noble Quran that show the true All Powerful God :
Doer (without let) of all that He intends.( Quran 85:016 )
[Quran 4:149] Whether ye publish a good deed or conceal it or cover evil with pardon, verily God doth blot out (sins) and hath power.
[Quran16:70] It is God who creates you and takes your souls at death; and of you there are some who are sent back to a feeble age, so that they know nothing after having known (much): for God is All-Knowing, All-Powerful.
[Quran 25:54] It is He Who has created man from water: then has He established relationships of lineage and marriage: for thy Lord has power (over all things).
[Quran 42:50] Or He bestows both males and females, and He leaves barren whom He will: for He is full of Knowledge and Power.
[Quran 54:42] The (people) rejected all Our Signs; but We seized them with such Penalty (as comes) from One Exalted in Power, able to carry out His Will.