Search and find articles and topics quickly and accurately! See different advanced ways to search for articles on this site.
Contradictions In The New Testament That Have No Good Answer
After looking through several anti Christian sites and then going to several Christian sites to see responses and rebuttals, I have a compiled a list of contradictions from the New Testament that I believe did not receive an appropriate or logical response from Christians.
You might think "well Bassam's way of thinking may be too subjective and does not know the meaning of a logical or good answer so why should I take his word for it?" Well if you do think that way and happen to find what you believe are logical and convincing explanations for the following contradictions, then email me at email@example.com and I will be more than happy to remove the contradictions from my author's section http://www.answering-christianity.com/bassam_zawadi/index.html.
1)How many generations were there between Abraham to David? Matthew 1:17 lists fourteen generations. Matthew 1:12-16 lists thirteen generations.
2)Who approached Jesus? (Matthew 8:5-7) The Centurion approached Jesus, beseeching help for a sick servant. (Luke 7:3 & 7:6-7) The Centurion did not approach Jesus. He sent friends and elders of the Jews.
3) Pauls attendants heard the miraculous voice and stood speechless. Acts 9:7 Pauls attendants did not hear the voice and were prostrate. Acts 22:9 & 26:14
For a detailed regarding this issue, read http://www.infidels.org/library/magazines/tsr/1994/1/1voice94.html
4) Was she dead or just dying? (Matthew 9:18) He asked for help, saying his daughter was already dead. (Luke 8:41-42) Jairus approached Jesus for help, because his daughter was dying.
5) Just what did Jesus instruct them to take? (Matthew 10:10) Jesus instructed them not to take a staff, not to wear sandals. (Mark 6:8-9) Jesus instructed his disciples to wear sandals and take a staff on their journey.
6) When did the fig tree hear of its doom? (Matthew 21:17-19) Jesus cursed the fig tree after purging the temple. (Mark 11:14-15 & 20) He cursed it before the purging.
7) Was John the Baptist Elias? "This is Elias which was to come." Matthew 11:14 "And they asked him, what then? Art thou Elias? And he said I am not." John l:21
8) Matthew 2:15, 19 & 21-23 The infant Christ was taken into Egypt. Luke 2:22 & 39 The infant Christ was NOT taken to Egypt.
9) Matthew 5:1-2 Christ preached his first sermon on the mount. Luke 6:17 & 20 Christ preached his first sermon in the plain.
10) Where did the devil take Jesus first? (Matthew 4:5-8) The Devil took Jesus first to the parapet of the temple, then to a high place to view all the Kingdoms of the world. (Luke 4:5-9) The Devil took Jesus first to a high place to view the kingdoms, then to the parapet of the temple.
11) What color was the robe the blessed Jesus was put in? And they stripped him and put a scarlet robe upon him.
(Matthew 27:28). And the soldiers plaited a crown of thorns, and put it on his head, and
arrayed him in a purple robe. (John 19:2)
12) In 1 Corinthians 1:17 ("For Christ sent me [Paul] not to baptize but to preach the gospel") Paul said Jesus was wrong when he said in Matthew 28:19 "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them " Clearly one of these people is wrong, either way, its a contradiction. On top of that even Peter taught it, 1 Pet. 3:21, "and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also -- not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ."
13) Has anyone ascended up to heaven? Elijah went up to heaven: "And Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven." 2 Kings 2:11 "No man hath ascended up to heaven but he that came down from heaven, even the son of man." John 3:13
14) How many
angels were within the sepulcher? John 20:11-12 two, Mark 16:5 one. Just incase that
they are not mutually exclusive then say that in Mark 16:6 it shows that one person was
talking but in John 20:13 it shows two people talking. Now that is mutually exclusive.
15) Where did Jesus first appear to the eleven disciples? In a room in Jerusalem. Luke 24:32-37 On a mountain in Galilee. Matthew 28:15-17
16) Where did Christ ascend from? From Mount Olives. Acts 1:9-12 From Bethany. Luke 24:50-51
17) The Elijah mystery: (Malachi 4:5) Elijah must return before the final days of the world. (Matthew 11:12-14) Jesus said that John the Baptist was Elijah. (Matthew 17:12- 13) Jesus insists that Elijah has already come, and everyone understood him to mean John the Baptist. (Mark 9:13) Jesus insists that Elijah has already come. (John 1:21) John the Baptist maintained that he was not Elijah.
18) Jesus took Peter, James and John up the mountain six days (Matthew 17:1) or eight days (Luke 9:7) after he told them that they will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.
19 Matthew 4:18-20 shows that Jesus talked to Peter and Andrew together and they both followed him together but John 1:40-42, shows Andrew followed Jesus first and then he went and informed Peter.
20) Who bought the Sepulcher? Jacob, Josh 24:32 Abraham, Acts 7:16
21) Are we saved by works as well as faith? Ephesians 2:8-9 says no and James 2:24 says yes.
22) James 1:13 says God tempts no man but Genesis 22:1 says that God tempted Abraham.
This is a very small sample of thousands of other contradictions. Probably most of them are answered by Christians, however there are still dozens and dozens of more contradictions which are important and relate to key issues of doctrine that have not been logically answered.
I only provided a small sample, which I find to be enough to show that the New Testament cannot be the complete true word of God when it contains these errors.
For contradictions on the resurrection visit http://ffrf.org/books/lfif/?t=stone
Back to Rebuttals, and exposing the lies of the Answering Islam team section.
Contradictions and History of Corruption in the Bible.
Bassam Zawadi's Rebuttals section.
Send your comments.
Back to Main Page.