Search and find articles and topics quickly and accurately! See different advanced ways to search for articles on this site.
Wine: To Drink it Or Not To Drink It?
By Ahmed Eldin
In the Bible especially in the Old Testament, we find that drinking wine is prohibited. We see this prohibition at least in five places in the Old Testament. For example we read:
8. And the LORD spake unto Aaron, saying,
9. Do not drink wine nor strong drink, thou, nor thy sons with thee, when ye go into the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations: (Leviticus 10:9)
Notice that “God” (Jesus according to Christians) Says that it shall be a statute forever throughout your generation. Which means also for the days of Jesus and even it is a statute in nowadays for us.
In another verse we read:
Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise. (Proverbs 20:1)
No comments! Very clear verse concerning what wine really is, and what it cause to human being.
In the same book we read:
For they eat the bread of wickedness, and drink the wine of violence. (Proverbs 4: 17)
Here we have another description of wine, which is violent.
In Isaiah we read:
But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink are out of the way; the priest and the prophet have erred through strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way through strong drink; they err in vision, they stumble in judgment. (Isaiah 28:7)
Here we have a detailed description of what damages and errors can occur through wine. We are told by “God” ( Jesus according to Christians) that the Priests and the Prophets erred, in other words wine brings “the incorrect” and the “error”, for example bible testify some “errors” from some prophets did through the wine:
The error of Prophet Noah:
20. And Noah began to be an husbandman, and he planted a vineyard:
21. And he drank of the wine, and was drunken; and he was uncovered within his tent.
22. And Ham, the
23. And Shem and Japheth took a garment, and laid it upon both their shoulders, and went backward, and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were backward, and they saw not their father's nakedness. ( Genesis 9 :20-25)
The error of Prophet Lot:
31. And the firstborn said unto the younger, Our father is old, and there is not a man in the earth to come in unto us after the manner of all the earth:
32. Come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father.
33. And they made their father drink wine that night: and the firstborn went in, and lay with her father; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose.
34. And it came to pass on the morrow, that the firstborn said unto the younger, Behold, I lay yesternight with my father: let us make him drink wine this night also; and go thou in, and lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father.
35. And they made their father drink wine that night also: and the younger arose, and lay with him; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose.
36. Thus were both
the daughters of
37. And the firstborn bare a son, and called his name
38. And the younger, she also bare a son, and called his name Benammi: the same is the father of the children of Ammon unto this day. (Genesis 19: 31-38)
In The book of Joel we read:
Awake, ye drunkards, and weep; and howl, all ye drinkers of wine, because of the new wine; for it is cut off from your mouth. (Joel 1:5)
Another clear prohibition of wine by “God” (Jesus according to Christians) calling the one who drinks wine “drunkard” and “for it is cut off from your mouth” which means that wine is forbidden.
Interesting is also the comparison that “God” ( Jesus according to Christians) use in order to describe what wine is equal with:
Whoredom and wine and new wine take away the heart. ( Hosea 4:11)
In other words wine has the same results with prostitution! And they are equal.
In the Gospel of Luke, we read about the John the Baptist:
For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb. (Luke 1:15)
John the Baptist is described as an abstainer from wine and for that reason is great in the sight of the Lord.
As we noticed above from the biblical passages, it is quite clear that wine cause errors, and that “God” ( Jesus according to Christians) prohibited, condemn and many times curse it. Also it is prohibited “for ever throughout the generations” as mention in Leviticus 10:9.
But the real problem arise when “God” (Jesus according to Christians) came down and became human (only according to Christians) and BLESSED wine! As we read in the Gospel of John:
1. And the third
day there was a marriage in Cana of
2. And both Jesus was called, and his disciples, to the marriage.
3. And when they wanted wine, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine.
4. Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come.
5. His mother saith unto the servants, Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it .
6. And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece.
7. Jesus saith unto them, Fill the waterpots with water. And they filled them up to the brim.
8. And he saith unto them, Draw out now, and bear unto the governor of the feast. And they bare it .
9. When the ruler of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and knew not whence it was: (but the servants which drew the water knew;) the governor of the feast called the bridegroom,
10. And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now.( John 2: 1-10)
This is a famous miracle of Jesus, he changed the water into wine in order people to drink abundantly.
This is a clear contradiction. In one place we have “God” (Jesus according to Christians) who prohibited, cursed, and condemn wine in several places:
1) Leviticus 10:9
2) Proverbs 20:1 and 4:17
3) Isaiah 28:7
4) Joel 1:5
5) Hosea 4:11
6) Luke 1:15
And in other place the same God (Jesus according to Christians) bless the wine and changes the water into wine for people to drink abundantly:
1) John 2:1-10
The most important think to notice is that the same God after he prohibited in Leviticus 10:9 FOR EVER AND EVER, then he change his mind and bless it????
Another clear contradiction about the prohibition or if it is allowed the wine, we read the verse
And the vine said unto them, Should I leave my wine, which cheereth God and man, and go to be promoted over the trees? (Judge 9:13)
Here “God” described that Cheereth from wine. A total chaotic confusion. What is really going on with wine? Is it good or bad? Does God prohibited or allowed it? Is it cursed by God ? or Make God Chereeth?
If anyone can answer to this confusion that promotes Bible, which is obvious not the word of God, please contact me.
The prohibition of alcohol in Islam.